Call for artists: Competition for the design of educational video clips
Commemorating the 70th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Platform of European Memory and Conscience is hereby announcing a competition for a winning proposal of a series of short educational YouTube video clips in English illustrating the violations of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the Nazi and the Communist totalitarian regimes alike. The deadline for the entry submission is 15 May 2018. The winner will receive a contract to execute the project by 10 August 2018.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Individuals or teams, university students and professionals of any nationality are invited to participate. Women’s participation is encouraged.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE VIDEOS:
- Each final video clip shall introduce and illustrate the violation of one of the articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights by totalitarian dictatorships, namely Nazism, Fascism, and Communism. Articles 28 and 30 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights shall be omitted, as they are difficult to portray.
- An additional introductory video shall be created, presenting the project and the credits.
- Each video is to be approximately a minute long (30 seconds to 60 seconds).
- The target audience are secondary school students anywhere in the world, but primarily in Europe.
- The language of the videos, if any, shall be English.
- The videos shall be inclusive of diverse nationalities, as well as men, women, and children.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE COMPETITION ENTRIES:
- The entry may be executed in any artistic or computerised technique.
- The entry shall consist of 28 images demonstrating the contestant’s idea for each of the 28 articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- For each of the 28 images, a short summary (1-2 sentences) shall be provided, explaining the content of the video (screenplay).
- The entry shall contain the proposed budget and schedule of realization of the project. The Platform reserves the right to limit the amount of video clips stated in the contract.
- Furthermore, the entry shall contain demonstrative samples of the contestant’s proposal:
- If videos are to be filmed: a short .MP4 or .MOV format video (5-10 seconds) demonstrating the contestant’s skills and the visual idea of the project;
- If videos are to be animated: a visual rendering in final quality demonstrating the idea of the proposal and a short piece of animation in .MP4 or .MOV format (5-10 seconds) showing the competitor’s skills.
- The entry shall contain a reference to the previous works of the author, with samples, if possible.
SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES:
- The entry shall be submitted only electronically and consist of 2 files:
a PDF file with the images, summaries, budget, schedule of realisation, and references (see points 2, 3, 4 and 6 above) and a video file (see point 5 above).
- The entries shall be submitted by 15 May 2018, 24:00 CET.
- The size of the entry shall not exceed 200 MB.
- The digital entry shall be sent via the server: http://www.uschovna.cz/en
to the address: email@example.com
- The competitor posesses sufficient skills to be able to execute the project
- Artistic value of the content design
- The quality of the viewing experience
- The topic must be well researched and the concept well suited to teach about the violations of human rights by totalitarian regimes and the importance of awareness about fundamental human rights today
- Schedule feasibility – it shall be possible for the videos to be released by 10 August 2018
- Budget feasibility – the budget shall be realistic
The Board of the Platform will decide on the winning entry. The results will be published on 25 May 2018.
- tel.: +420 222 561 056