Prague, 31 March 2016 – The Regional Commissioner for the Stasi Records of the Free State of Thuringia Mr. Christian Dietrich visited the Platform office in Prague today. The Commissioner was established by the Thuringian Act on the Commissioner for Evaluation of 2 July 2013, the “ThürAufarbBG”.
The tasks of the Thuringian Commissioner and his staff are o provide information, individual counseling and discussions, information materials, public statements and events on the following spectrum of topics:
– political and legal evaluation of the legacy of the Ministry of State Security and the GDR
– rehabilitation and compensation for persons who were politically persecuted between 1945 and 1990
– advising public institutions, offices and bodies of public law
– offer of political education: events, exhibitions, publications, individual information, literature recommendations etc.
– for pupils: counseling tailored to age, curriculum and projects, work materials on regional history, lectures, project days
– for students and researchers: counseling related to research and archives
– regional history research on the Ministry of State Security and the GDR and cooperation with partners on different topics of the Soviet occupation zone and the history of the GDR, information about the history of Thuringia between 1945 and 1990.
At the meeting Commissioner Christian Dietrich and Platform Managing Director Neela Winkelmann discussed the situation in the field of coming to terms with the legacy of totalitarianism in Germany and Europe as well as possible cooperation.