Prague, 2 March 2016. The Platform of European Memory and Conscience and its Czech Member organisations, the Confederation of Political Prisoners of the Czech Republic, the Union of Auxilliary Technical Units – Military Forced Labour Camps of the Czech Republic, the Prague Academic Club 48, the Centre for Documentation of Totalitarian Regimes and Post Bellum, together with partner organisation the Association of Former Political Prisoners – filed a criminal complaint against the Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia with the police and the state prosecutor’s office in Prague 1 today, based on the suspicion that the criminal act of denying, casting doubt upon, approving and justifying genocide according to Article 405 of the Criminal Code of the Czech Republic was committed.
In its proclamation at the occasion of the anniversary of 25 February 1948, the Communist Party announces its support for “the revolutionary foundation of February 1948“ and “values the work and selflessness of the generations of the constructors of the first form of socialism“. The announcers are convinced that the authors of the text have fulfilled the essence of the law which stipulates that:
He who publicly denies, casts doubt upon, approves or attempts to justify the Nazi, Communist or other genocides or the Nazi, Communist or other crimes against humanity or war crimes or crimes against peace, shall be punished by a prison sentence from six months up to three years.
With its proclamation, the Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia is approving and attempting to justify not only the crimes of the Communists which they committed against their fellow citizens during the dictatorship in Czechoslovakia, but also the imprescriptible war crimes and crimes against humanity perpetrated by the Communists in the Soviet Union and other Communist dictatorships until the fall of the regime.
The criminal complaint was signed by the statutory representatives of all seven organisations.
- Press release PEMC 2.3.2016
- Tisková zpráva PEMC 2.3.2016
- Trestní oznámení – The criminal complaint (in Czech)
Echo in the media
- V souvislostech – Neela Winkelmannová: Promlčené zločiny komunismu? (TV Noe)
- Czech NGOs sue Communist Party, claim it approves of genocides (Czech Press Agency)
- Političtí vězni podali trestní oznámení na KSČM, která se přihlásila k převratu 1948 (Czech TV)
- Političtí vězni podali trestní oznámení na KSČM. Kvůli přihlášení k únoru 1948 (lidovky.cz)
- Sedm organizací podalo trestní oznámení na KSČM kvůli vyjádření k únoru 1948 (Czech Radio)
- Pamětníci podali na KSČM trestní oznámení kvůli únoru 1948 (Echo24.cz)