The Platform of European Memory and Conscience received initial support, i.a., from the International Visegrad Fund. An International Visegrad Fund Strategic grant 2011-2014 was provided to the Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes, Prague, Czech Republic, to support the first three years of activities of the Platform.
Since its establishment and registration on 14 October 2011, the Platform of European Memory and Conscience is an independent legal person and covers its costs by revenue from own activities, donations and grants.
From the description of the Strategic grant from the International Visegrad Fund 2011-2014:
The project Platform of European Memory and Conscience brings together institutions and organisations from the V4 and other EU countries active in research, documentation, awareness raising and education about the totalitarian regimes which befell the Visegrad region in the 20th century.
The project, initially planned for 3 years, consists of (net)working meetings and conferences, a travelling exhibition on totalitarianism in Europe, a reader for schools on totalitarianism in Europe and an award to personalities who have set a mark in resisting and working against totalitarianism in Europe.
Recipient of the Strategic grant, awarded in September 2011, was the Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes, Czech Republic.
Partners were the following institutions and organisations:
- Berlin-Hohenschönhausen Memorial
- Estonian Institute of Historical Memory
- Foundation History of Totalitarian Regimes and their Victims
- Hannah Arendt Center – Sofia
- Hannah Arendt Society
- Institute for the Investigation of Communist Crimes and the Memory of the Romanian Exile
- Jan Langos Foundation
- Study Centre for National Reconciliation
- The Federal Commissioner for the Records of the State Security Service of the former GDR
- The Institute for Information on the Crimes of Communism
- The Occupation Museum Association of Latvia
- The Public Foundation for the Research of Central and East European History and Society – House of Terror Museum
- Unitas Foundation
- Warsaw Rising Museum